PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2011, 14:17
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you found exactly when and for how long the spoilers were up?

I repeat, from the outset, the a/c may have misbehaved, at least in the judgment of the flight crew. It appears the PF wanted NOSE UP for the duration, and didn't 'get' it. Initially the a/c did need NU, and it did not respond to ss until PITCH reached 10 degrees (and this without the THS). Were the spoilers active in auto? If their deployment did not cause decel, couldn't PF have concluded they were not working?

So with initial pull, the a/c did not trim itself to follow the pilot's stick, how do we explain that? He knew to control the roll (the roll impetus is irrelevant) and he has to have been using the FD w/o external cues. So was the Pitch cueing working? Both pilots were fixated on Roll? To the exclusion of noticing the NU? It is not sufficient to use partial data to conclude these things. Especially the "thoughts" part. That recorder has not been invented yet. A poor resource would be CVR, and that is being parsed to political ends.

I'd rather remain frustrated without sufficient data than to more or less blindly put their final four minutes in stone.

You propose to know his thoughts. I'm trying to find something that worked for them. That would be a better starting place than to join him later at spoilers with a preconceived conclusion. What we see are results of data that was unavailable to the crew, for the most part. Assuming this crew could follow along with data derived from recorders is nonsense.