PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra Bomber
Thread: Canberra Bomber
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2011, 16:56
603DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like longer ron, I had just one flight in a T4, a 30 minute "air experience" trip at Waddington in 1957. As an 18 years old CCF cadet in my last year before going to university, my "hands-on" flying experience before this was very limited indeed, just a few minutes on each of two Chipmunk flights, and an RAF gliding course at Halton, where I went solo to qualify for the A & B certificates.

Consequently, like Manuel the waiter in Fawlty Towers, "I knew nothing"! So it was astonishing to me that the Canberra pilot let me have the controls for nearly 10 minutes. It is perhaps a tribute to the handling characteristics of the T4, which was after all designed as a trainer, that I had no difficulty in keeping it straight and level, and also carrying out a few gentle banked turns. The pilot then took over again and demonstrated a practice GCA landing approach, in contact with the control caravan alongside the runway. All very smooth, quiet and comfortable, with a superb view from that "bubble" canopy. Possibly the only downside was that no ejection seats were fitted, so the pupil's seat I was sitting in had to be slid back on runners to allow access to the escape hatch on the starboard side. Baling out in an emergency could have been a bit of a problem, I felt, and the pilot and navigator would have had to get me out of their way pretty smartish!