PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confession time - Who has had a prang?!
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2011, 13:44
Victorian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad i'm not the only one who has rudder and speed issues on landing!
You are not alone. 30 years ago, Jodel D120, major international airport, about 50 hrs P1.

I'd learned on C150 from a grass strip and bought a share in the Jodel post PPL. Done about 30 Hrs in it all from and to grass strips. Very successful and way too confident. One day the idea of going to an airshow near a big airport came up. No problem I said to my passenger who'd never been in a light aircraft, we'll land there and get a cab.

I had never landed on a hard runway, either training or post PPL. How hard could it be?

I found out as the poor little Jodel swung viciously one way and then the other has I over corrected, and then the air was full of pieces of driftwood that had once been a propeller. In those days you could block the only runway at a major airport and walk away without paying compensation for all those CAT that have to go somewhere else.

Last month and 1500 Hrs later I landed my PA28 at a single runway International airport in a 20G30 90 deg crosswind and thought of the lesson I learnt in that poor little Jodel all those years ago. Think ahead! Anticipate! The PA28 really wanted to weathercock into wind during the rollout and one reason that it didn't (apart from luck) was what happened to that Jodel.