PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Cost index are you using B737NG?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2011, 22:39
framer

Received 479 Likes on 129 Posts
De Facto, To demonstrate that my query was genuine and not in any way facetious,(or immature as you said), I have cut and paste from the trial of a Garuda Airlines Captain who was charged with the deaths of 21 people.

Komar's trial for criminal negligence over the deaths of 21 people in the crash, including five Australians, begins today. He has never spoken publicly about the Boeing 737's descent, but his police interrogation report, which is central to the case, has been obtained by Herald.

Under questioning, Komar said there had been arguments with his co-pilot during the landing. He admitted the plane touched down at an unsafe speed.

He said he was concerned about conserving fuel -
Komar said he compromised with his co-pilot, Gagam Rahman, on the level of flaps the plane was using on descent because "by using a flap of 30 degrees the usage of fuel was relatively not much". Garuda had introduced large bonuses for conserving fuel shortly before last year's accident.
It was my understanding that the practice of rewarding pilots financially for fuel savings was understood to be a Human Factors disaster and that no reputeable airline did so anymore. It is akin to 'dive and drive' techniques v's the now accepted constant decent approaches, in that it is a recognised threat to safety.
That was my understanding. Feel free to correct me, I am always open to new learnings.
Framer