PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for PPL Lessons... what Aircraft is best to train in... place of study
Old 6th Oct 2011, 22:09
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secondly, with the money I have to spend at the minute, I have the option to go to......
At your age, and with only that much money to spend, I would not consider doing the PPL at all. Even if you manage to scrape enough money together to eventually finish your PPL, remember that you need to spend about 12 hours a year flying to stay reasonably current and safe. That's money that you need to have left over each year, no questions asked.

Yes, I know legally you can get by with less than that but practically speaking this is about the minimum. And even 12 hours a year will not see you far outside the local circuit anyway. So what's the point? You're just throwing good money after bad.

In your situation, I would consider other (cheaper) forms of flying. Gliding for instance, or an NPPL(M) on a flexwing. That's arguable even more fun than bimbling about in a C152 or PA28, and a lot cheaper. At the very least you'll find more folks your age in those scenes. The PA28/C152&up scene is dominated by 35+ folks who have a career and can afford the expense. (With the exception of 18-year olds on the ATPL track of course.)