PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHF - Merlin Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2011, 19:16
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks, Pheasant. Since I was sitting on the stage approximately 7 feet to Eric's left during that lecture, I can tell you categorically that he wasn't 'almost booed'.

Eric put in a bravura performance (no surprise) which in fact went down extremely well with the audience - which is one of the reasons the Cranwell branch of the RAES had him back earlier this week to talk about the RNAS - not least because he was entertainingly controversial. The only people who'd have had reason to boo him would've been (a) government ministers [none present] (b) Army officers [some present, no booing]

The only element of disagreement which occurred was during the interval when Eric and the Cranwell staish disagreed, firmly, but good-naturedly over a cup of tea and some biscuits, about the efficacy of the Tornado. I have to say that I sided with the Staish on that one, since Eric rather under-estimated what the GR4 can do.

But the fact remains that the RAES members (and IOT cadets, who wouldn't have dared boo) collectively thought that he was excellent. Granted, there may have been a few people dotted about the audience who might've disagreed with what he said on certain occasions, but since his loudest messages were (a) the UK needs a capable, independent air force and (b) that our political lords and masters had overseen a stupid defence review, from where I was sitting, I have to say that he had the audience eating out of his hand.