PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Australia its own Worst Enemy?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2011, 18:58
Lex Talionis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blanik3,
My apology if it sounded as though I was supporting the legislation as I too believe that the asylum seeker issue is nothing more than a political football with the aim nothing more than to increase political advantage in the polls.
Just off the top of my head,taxation reform,restructure of manufacturing base,addressing the structural deficit that has been in our economy for well over a decade that neither party has plans to rectify.
Wholeheartedly agree there as well especially with the taxation issue.The entire Australian tax system is a dogs breakfast and should be completely shelved and a new system designed from scratch but neither party is interested.

My concern and as I said it is a frustration with the Australian political system is that we have an opposition party which will vote against legislation which it's leader admits does not know anything about.

We have a system in which either party will vote against anything the other party seeks to introduce regardless of it's potential benefit.

In other words a system in which Australia and it's future is secondary to being in office.

The only time we see a bipartisan approach or attitude is when the parties are voting for some sort of increase in remuneration.