PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the PPL instructor now a reality?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2011, 16:52
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by shanetouhey
Hi,

I'm aiming to be a flying instructor and have been finding the costs an uphill battle.

I am now a PPL with 90 hours and have completed the CPL ground school modules 2 years ago.

I am a little aware that EASA were planning to change the rules but has that happened yet? And if no when is it planned for? If it has where can the rules be found now?

What would I need to become a flying instructor from here? I assume some hours and an instructor rating? How many hours and will my CPL ground school still run out after 36 months?

Grateful for any help.
From your post it would seem your 90 hours were accrued over several years thus indicating you probably have only been flying realtively sporatically. Setting aside the whole regulatory question of how/what/when you can instruct it is important to realise you still have to demonstrate the same level of flying skills regardless of your license type.

I have been instructing off and on for over 20 years and I have yet to meet a 90 hour PPL that had sufficent personal flying skills to allow them to start the flight instructor course. Therefore I think it would be wise to plan on a considerable amount of dual training to consolidate the foundation flying skills before you couldl start training for the FI rating. If you want an idea of where you are I would recommend you get an instructor and fly a complete mock PPL flight test. In Canada flight manoevers are rated on a 4 point scale.

1) fail
2) pass but with major errors
3) pass with minor errors
4) an essentially perfect demonstration of the manoever.

To move on to a FI Course I would expect to see no 2's just 3's and multiple 4's before I would recommend they proceed to the FI course.

Please note this post is not meant to slag PPL holders, but only to point out my personal observations and experiences.