PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2011, 13:57
ClippedCub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure about the trim tab failure being the cause of the rolling moment because the turn did not appear to tighten.
Just as the aircraft was straightening out, he hit a second mountain of
turbulence which caused the tail to 'dig in' resulting in a 10+ G climb
rendering Leeward unconscious instantly and resulted in the tail wheel
falling out. (broken tail wheel support structure was found on the
course). As the Ghost shot upward the LH elevator trim tab broke loose.
This can be heard on the tape, so the trim tab did not cause the
accident.

Since the Ghost was racing at 480 mph with full right rudder and the
stick full right, this is where everything stayed when Leeward blacked
out.
If you look closely, you can see a sudden nose-up pitch while in the turn. But I've still not sure about the trim tab failure sequence causing the the rolling moment either, just leaning. The aircraft quit rolling at wings level, so the stick didn't stay over-to-the-right after the correction.

If I had to guess, Leeward felt the sudden pitch in the turn, knew what was coming from prior airplane tab scenarios, and went to wings level to give himself a chance. He was already clinced to counter the turn g, so when the g shot up, his current body configuration probably bought him another fraction of a second to react.

I would ask whether this aft CG induced pitch instability was noted during practice and qualifying.
They set the cg to what they are confortable with. Matt's reference to an overly aft cg is conjecture.

I doubt there would be a working of the trim in the turns.
They trim and go. Rarebear's the worse for stick force changes around the course. The Mustangs sticks are relatively light.

Instead of pointing out what's wrong with my statements, you suggest google and then ask if I am a pilot.
The answers to some of the statements are intuitive, generally basic and can be looked up. Didn't come here to school, since like most here, am still putting the pieces together. I haven't written you off, you have some good to contribute - like realizing that the seat bottom is under load and not the seat back.

Are you one? Really?
PPL. Still have the Cub I learned in at 16. Flew loops, rolls, ... in a stock Mustang as a treat. Ailerons and rudder gets stiff at speed. Soloed a T-6G. Currently own Yak-52, Chipmunk, Cubs, trainer types.

but I venture to say I have a bit more courtesy than you.
That's probably true. I try to write factually.

What are your thoughts re: trim? Need a picture?
Trim's untouched during the race. Pilot workload's enough, and it changes the airplane when you don't want it to change.

Somewhere in here, Penny talked about Rarebear trim. Ignore the stagnation point/ versus shock strength portion. That part's wrong.