PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Different Types: Confusing or Complementary?
Old 29th Oct 2002, 16:19
Lowtimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never flown a weightshift or anything rotary wing, but plenty of gliders, and am reasonably current on some low energy vintage-style aeroplanes (90hp Cub, Tiger Moth) as well as the Yak and various PA-28 sub-types. Also technically checked out, though not particulalarly current, on the C152, Robin HR200 and part way through a Pitts conversion. Speaking personally, I find that everything you learn to fly makes it easier to adapt to the next type, and also helps my flying of the earlier-experienced types. Of course, that's partly because all experience is good experience. Before flying any type I review the critical speeds and emergency procedures, and make full use of the POH & checklist to get my mind back into each type before I jump in. So far the one time I've found a differences between types confusing is when I'm dealing with the very similar types, the different members of the PA-28 family. E.g. going from an Archer II to a keyless Archer III, I find it hard to remember to switch on the ignition before hitting the starter. And moving from a Warrior to a plank-wing 180, the different trim change with flap application once took me by surprise. The more different the types the easier I find it - when sitting in a Moth, I never expect it to do Yak-like things, and vice versa.