PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confession time - Who has had a prang?!
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2011, 10:36
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prop strike in a pothole with a £200k plane which was 1 hour old... made me quite wary of this risk, and the casual way most airfields, and many pilots, treat it, and I always ask for hard parking.

Flat spotted a tyre very badly, in an embarrassing incident with an engineer on board (post service check flight), when a crosswind changed to tailwind but I didn't go around when I should have done. They changed the runway direction straight after that Cost me 2 tyres plus fitting...

Taxied the plane (with a towbar) over a handbag (not mine ) lying on the tarmac, squashing a £400 camera inside it

One serious ice encounter where I got ~ 30mm within 5-10 minutes, in some harmless looking NS, base 1500ft, tops 4000ft, -5C. Vs rose to about 100kt, no stall warning (tab frozen in ice) and level flight could not be maintained (at 3700ft) with max power and with a TKS de-iced prop. I let the ice progress to that stage because surface temp was +3C, so melting it off after a bit of a descent was easy enough, but it took some 30 mins to get it all off. One way to find out the absolute limit for the aircraft... and better doing this over Kent than over the Alps. I steer clear of frontal wx / enroute IMC on high altitude flights, except flying straight over the top of it.