PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confession time - Who has had a prang?!
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2011, 10:17
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I can say that with only pure luck, that I have never damaged an aircraft that I was flying. I have done some damage during ground operations though:

I had a 182 stuck in the mud, and tried to power it out. I damaged the prop blades to within an eigth of an inch of their lives, Lesson learned!

I was ferrying a 150 decades ago, which would not electric start at a stop over. It was a northern airport in a complete winter scene, with no provision whatever to tie or chalk it. I pushed it well away from everything else around, on the only dry pavement to be found, set the throttle to idle, had a fellow hold it by the tail, and hand propped it. Due to a previoulsy unknown loose throttle plate, the throttle was actually partly open, and the engine started with much more poweer than expected. My holding guy got scared, and let go, while I ran around in front of it (stupid!) and tried to reach in the now moving plane for the keys. I could not get it, so I (we) watched it taxi into an unused fuel pump cabinet, and snowbank. Bent plane, my mistake, I fixed the plane, and it went on to a long and happy carreer. Lesson learned there, check the full range of motion of the throttle before you start an engine (I would have felt that the throttle was out of position).

My only ever "damaging" event was while starting the Schweizer 300 helicopter, where a running, yet un-clutched engine can be very easily oversped. When the engine started, it headed for an overspeed, while trying to prevent that, I bumped the throttle, and made it worse. Engine limits were not exceeded, but transmission limits were. A mandatory inspection had to be carried out as a result. I spent all day helping to take the helicopter apart for the inspection.

Other than that, I've had four engine failures, which resulted in a forced landing, though I have always managed to land somewhere, from which I could take off safely later. Two were fuel icing (as opposed to carb icing) related, one loss of engine oil, and one was a mouse nest getting sucked through the alternate air induction system, and blocking the carb venturi.

I've had a one half gear up landing in a 182 amphibian, whose left side gear would not extend due to frozen grease on the slides. I landed very gently on a frozen lake, so no harm done.

I've had a broken floatplane bracing wire, which results in a precarious "drooping" of the plane on it's floats after the most gentle landing you can manage.

I have had three occasions where icing encounters resulted in the aircraft not being able to maintain safe flight. Each time a decesnt to lower altitudes, and warmer air fixed it. One of these aircraft was a brand new, fully icing approved twin.

The closest I came to bending aluminum "right now" was a Cessna 206 with a pitch trim mis-rigging, which resulted an a very unfliable aircraft, but not enough room to land back once detected. It was a very small and scary circuit, which I thought would end in a bent plane, though I did get it down safely.

I have helped to lift one very good,, and very dead friend out of the Cessna 150 he owned, which we both flew regularly, and he had crashed minutes earlier. He was flying dumb. He did not learn, but we did.....