PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confession time - Who has had a prang?!
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2011, 09:13
Katamarino

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No incidents so far in 620+ hours, thankfully. A few near misses...

1) Landing at Rotterdam in a C172 when a squall comes in from nowhere. Huge cross winds; first time in I'm flipped to about a 60 degree bank just above the runway, and elect to go around! Second attempt the wind has another go at knocking me over, but I hold on and roll out on nosewheel and one main...

2) Testing the brakes in a C172 prior to a night instrument training flight. The left brake works fine, the right one not so much. To our left, of course, is a long line of Cessnas and we're now heading straight at the last one in the row and unable to turn away or stop. Luckily there's a student preflighting it; he spots us coming and pushes the airplane backwards out of the way!

3) Same evening, in the flight school's other Cessna which we have taken instead. The engine swallows a valve, refuses to maintain altitude, and we have to carry out a landing at an unlit field in the middle of a swamp. I flew it down on instruments, using the GPS on full zoom to line up, and flaring when the altimeter told me to. We hit the centreline and rolled out just fine!