PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elevated Helipads
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2002, 15:16
TeeS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Q Max - yes I had to make use of the full procedure and reject back to the spot several years ago. It actually wasn't an engine failure but a transient surge caused by a biscuit wrapper sucked into the number one engine. I have to confess that at the time it happened I did not have a clue what it was, there was just a bang, a fierce judder and when I looked down all the engine indications were normal. At that moment I was just very glad that I still had the aiming point in the chin window just where it was in all the base checks. I know that both engines were still running but the power required was very low and I am confident that we would have been OK single engine.

It was a very very tight site in the middle of Birmingham with nowhere else to go - In the circumstances we could have flown away quite happily but that was knowledge only gained during the post incident engine inspection. If the engine had failed for real we would have ended up on the railway line if we had not flown the procedure.

Cheers

TeeS