PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX Resignations
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2011, 23:02
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
REX Resignations

Well, the chaos of 4 years ago is about to be revisited. During the last expansion of the major airlines REX lost 60% of their experienced pilots in a 12 month period alone. This time around it will be interesting to see the net effect. One thing is certain however, the management response,.... NOTHING!

Back then not all the losses were Captains. In fact a large proportion were First Officers with well above the minimum requirements for command. REX's response was purely reactive. They began a frenzied search for new recruits, and an accelerated upgrade program for the existing F/O's. The problem was (and still is) REX's inability, or unwillingness, to engage in a stategic solution to it's crewing issues. Instead, having failed to acknowledge the true nature of the problem, they frantically continued to engage in practices which were akin to making beds in a burning house!

As quickly as they could promote 'em, they left. Almost as quickly as they could recruit 'em, they left. REX went on a nationwide roadshow that resulted in Zip! A senior REX Check Captain remarked to me at the time, "Krusty, the G/A cupboard is empty". Tell me something I didn't know. REX then went abroad to places as diverse as Eastern Europe and South Africa. This resulted in 6 recruits from SA. As for the rest NADA! In desperation REX then lowered the minimum experience requirements. This was partially succesful, but only in replacing F/O's, the critical shortage of Captains was never adressed.

Finally, all the upgrades and all the recruitment were being overwelmed by the major airline's expansions. REX then began the wholesale slashing of services. First to go were the less profitable routes. REX had long since dispensed with marginal services, so it should be noted that the routes getting the chop were both profitable and growing. Oh well! Next, REX started cancelling services on the prime routes, those with competitors being saved till last. The end result was an absolute nightmare for the travelling public and REX's frontline staff.

As the seriousness of the situation became apparent, it was suggested to mangement that efforts should be made to retain experienced pilots. LKH's famous (or infamous) response, "I would rather cut off my arm than give my pilots a pay rise". When the serious drain of experience was pointed out, the then Chief pilot commented, "Experience is overated". WTF!

Finally at the eleventh hour, with a terminal amount of pilots about to leave, along came a white knight to save REX's day. The GFC! Virtually overnight major airline recruitment ceased. REX then began the long slow process of rebuilding the business.

So here we are today. What's changed. Well, apart from REX spending in excess of $12 million on a cadet program, not much. The latest round of resignation are interesting to say the least. It seems that after more than a year of shenighans, Jetstar have finally realised that to meet their expansion plans, they will have to offer more than the B.S of the past 12-18 months. This has now resulted in a large number of REX Captains accepting positions that they had previously declined.

Of even greater interest are the number of senior REX Captains departing to Virgin/Skywest for the ATR gig. To Date resignations to leave for this carrier alone, have not only included Line Captains, but Check and Trainers, and Management pilots!!!

So why would established REX Captains, and more disturbingly, those in the "management club", move to another carrier and start at the bottom of the seniority list, for what some may see as a sideways step. Why? Because Skywest understand the value of experience, and REX do not! A ten year REX Captain's wage is less than a 1st year Skywest Captains wage! Rostering practices, overtime allowances, employee engagement, are all features of the Skywest culture that are glaringly absent at REX. REX management had the opportunity to adresss these core issues 4 years ago. They decided not to, and based on past form, are unlikely to consider them this time around as well.

So what's going to happen? This time there is no fat in the system. I mentioned that all the departing pilots are Captains, that's because virtually all the current REX F/O's are unable to hold an ATPL. These pilots are also unable to hold a command at REX. Forget PICUS, that won't produce results for years. What we'll see now is the inexorable decline in REX services. REX have just announced a new Williamtown Ballina Service. Great work guys! Back in '07 REX proudly announced a Brisbane base as a springboard into QLD. That lasted 6 weeks! Dejavu anyone? A senior CSO remarked to me the other day that if we see a repeat of the chaos of '07-08, she'll probably kill herself. Anacdotally I'm sure (hope), but such is the devastation resulting in REX's continual failure to address it's core crewing issues.

Last edited by KRUSTY 34; 6th Oct 2011 at 03:29.