PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OXFORD/KIDLINGTON
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2011, 19:15
Aero Mad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some news on Oxford

Flights to New York now up. They involve Cityjet from Oxford - Dublin using

their super-efficient Avro RJ-85 jet
(I don't think that even BAe had the audacity to market them as 'super-efficient' - four thirsty jets which are quite far from being even 'efficient'.)

Then onwards to New York with Aer Lingus on their 'award-winning service'. And for all the tightly packed text, the price isn't even on there. Turns out that it is £795 for flights only or £999 including 4 nights hotel stay. The latter doesn't seem quite such a bad deal.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very pro-Oxford in terms of expansion. But setting their sights on New York at the prices which they are charging are perhaps setting them a bit high. What about regional services? There has to be potential for scheduled services to some European and domestic destinations on a more regular basis; my best guesses are Jersey (more regular services needed, nothing from LHR), Guernsey (again nothing from Heathrow), a Scottish city (perhaps) and then some European destinations. It would require a decent survey to see where people in Oxford want to fly.