PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funny Things Happen in The Air Force
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2011, 18:36
Vortex what...ouch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Army one

I had this related to me second hand and didn’t see it for myself.

Germany mid 80’s, the gallant and the good exercising in preparation to repel the Russian hoards at a field location somewhere. As was the custom in those days, everything was done with the NBC threat in mind, so all and sundry were perpetually wearing Noddy suits. Some wag decides to move to 3Romeo (full protection with respirators, or NBC high as it was known as then). The relevant noises were made and everyone was “in time and masked in nine”. Except for the young steely eyed dealer of death Smithy (real name long forgotten), who was in the trees sending a family member to the coast.

The CO and RSM were purposely moving around the location making sure everyone was adopting the correct drills and taking things seriously. They come across young Smithy exiting the trees, business done, who has not heard the signal and so is not wearing his respirator. The RSM (we wore our name and rank on the chest in those days for recognition when masked up) goes from satisfied with proceedings to nigh apoplectic and screams at the offender “High Smithy High”, to which the innocent young man, ignorant of the state, replies “Hi Sir” and carries on leaving the illustrious leaders of men confused and speechless.