PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL at 40 ?
Thread: CPL at 40 ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2011, 18:33
Johny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting CPL at 40 or near about that age is not uncommon, many AME's/Engineers or Airline employees have got flying license in the range of 35-45 years and now have successful flying career.

First thing you should do is consult your inner self and family about taking plunge in career shift considering you are 37 & might have dependent family member's.If you got ample surplus money to spend then take up flying as your hobby and work it up till you get your CPL while keeping your telecom profession as first source of income.

Hoping or depending upon flying career at your age is risking your family while you might go into some state of depression of not getting pilot job.So think about outcome of taking up flying as not shifting from present work profile might get you weekends for flight training but you will have problem getting 2-3 months off from your work on stretch for regular flight training's without losing your telecom job.

Points that you should remember is :
1. Do i need career shift at this age.
2. Do i have emergency fund or secondary source of income if i make flying as my primary source of employment.
3. Do i have necessary contacts or network which can expedite my chances of getting that first cockpit job.
4. Lastly you will end up in competition pool with age range of 18 - 35 or so.....and might need to stack yourself above the crowd if you have 3 pointer in your aid as mentioned above.

My advice would be - Take flying as hobby and enjoy while you fly make some contacts and then work it up if you can...without losing your current job.Being unemployed at your age will be slow poisoning yourself.

All the best !