PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA in trouble?
Thread: AA in trouble?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2011, 15:49
niceday2700classic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if costs are higher than revenues - you think the costs are too high?
I didn't say that. I said the numbers didn't stack up. To make the business profitable, either the takings need to go up or the costs need to go down. The solution is generally a combination of the two.

What I do know is that air travel has never been (in real terms, accounting for inflation) cheaper or so affordable to such a large proportion of the world's population. This suggests that if the business is to remain profitable then costs should be falling in a similarly dramatic fashion. They aren't, and this is why many airlines find themselves in a pickle.

Ticket prices probably need to rise. But the industry is so competitive that no-one dares break ranks to do it for fear of losing market share. So they just keep chipping away at the cost base (and there is a fair bit to do - by comparison to other industries airlines are run horribly inefficiently) but it won't be enough. You could end up with the leanest structure possible, but with the price of oil and current ticket prices - it won't be enough. Not in the long term.