PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC secretly flying Pumas in NI in the 80's
Old 5th Oct 2011, 12:20
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAC secretly flying Pumas in NI in the 80's

There is supposedly a new book coming out that describes the feats of a secret RUC unit who "set aside the ROE" to take on the IRA. A quote from the web page states:-

This unit was primarily an air support unit, using Puma SA330 Helicopters flown by the Army Air Corp, operating over the entire six counties of Northern Ireland, but the main threatre of operations being in the South Armagh region and surrounding border.

The unit operated as a support team for security force ground units, and a rapid reaction deployment force from Bessbrook Mill outside Newry usually after any terrorist incidend or attack. The book covers the period from 1980 until it's disbandment in 1994.
Yes, I have noted the spelling mistakes on the web page...

I'm thinking it would have been pretty difficult to hide the existence of the AAC Puma(s) from the two Puma squadrons and 72 squadron. They would also need engineering support and aircraft would have to be swapped in and out for major servicing. The aviation world at the time would surely have known about this. Hands up if you can shed any light on it...

It seems to me that this simply checkable detail gives rise to doubt about the voracity of the entire book.

Link