PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Cabair going to stay alive?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2011, 19:05
StatorVane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The previous poster is correct and I wholeheartedly agree but it can be difficult to do anything other than pay up front if those are the terms of the training to be undertaken.

Upfront payment is not the preserve of flight training and neither is insolvency, but what this industry lacks, and this is something which staggers me, is a proper system of guarantee for consumers regularly parting with sums in excess of £50k. Anywhere else you'd get solicitors involved for these sums.

This is where the CAA need to step up to the plate a bit. They need to take responsibility not just in the interests of the flying public but for all those who wish to undertake study or tuition to a CAA (JAA) approved/vetted sylllabus.

The CAA are no strangers to consumer guarantee with ATOL so why don't they provide a similar system to training pilots who are parting with many many times that which your typical sunseekers are? It CAN be done!

On a brighter note, i've been around a bit in this funny old business of aviation and I''ve learned a few things. Anyone decrepit enough to remeber SECOAT at Manston? There are positives too but we only get to hear of the bad cases. Cabair is a brand in it's own right in my opinion, alongside Oxford, say. Cabair and its constituent parts can pull through. The surmised numbers involved aren't phenomenal. This is do'able and I hope that all you guys training with them keep focussed on the goal. Keep your chins up and fingers crossed!!!

And to the the prophet of doom who said this:

IF it indeed turns out to be the case that Cabair has stopped operating, may I offer my sincere condolances to the staff and the students.

It must be a very difficult time for you all and I hope a happy ending is just around the corner.

However.......have a think. One of the UK's biggest and long standing flight school is having problems....and what does that tell you.

LH are trying to sell off bmi, who knows if they will survive. It does not look good for them.

TCX are reducing fleet size and the IT market is in decline.

Air Berlin are reducing there fleet.

Europe and the United States rocking on the precipce of recession or much worse. A planned forfit by the Greeks is begining to look a certanty.

In my humble opinion, dont spend another penny on flight training. There will not be any jobs..

Credit there to "waco". This is despondency at its British best. This industry is riddled with its failed pilots, dashed hopes and missed dreams but let me put you right on something and I hope this makes you feel better. THERE ARE JOBS OUT THERE! Go after them. If you want something bad enough you'll get it. Focus on your goal and don't get sidelined worrying about a job market you have no control over. If it truly worries you that much you can fight for a job in civy street over flying a desk!