PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot or Tube Driver?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2011, 08:53
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fascinating discussion actually, speaking as one who has an instant "hackle rise" at seeing the article. I do have to say the contribution of some of the drivers has made me soften.

I think the major difference is that in the airline industry there is competition - hence if airline A is £20 more to the destination of choice than airline B, then ariline B gets the business. This keeps a deflationary pressure on the airlines to ensure they get and retain business.

The tubes/trains are almost a monopoly. There is very little alternative for those working in London than the commute and this means that the operators can - and do- charge almost what they want - which in turn means that the trade unions CAN negotiate deals like this - because it's the travelling public that has to bear the brunt.

What will be interesting to see is in how high an esteem Bob Crow et al are held when it gets to the point that the price of public transport forces an alternative. Because I rather suspect it will change rapidly when a viable alternative exists.

For the airlines, perhaps a giant merger of ALL airlines everywhere so that you can ONLY fly with one carrier would yield similar results. Or alternatively, perhaps everyone would start going by ship again...