PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2011, 05:42
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Kenyon Files: Special Edition

Tanti Auguri Dennisimo!

The Maestro turns 49 today! (Well okay, a number which rhymes with 49).

Dennis, many happy returns and all good wishes for the coming year!

The Maestro in Austria during the World Helicopter Championships

Dennisimo displaying G-BYKF at North Weald on 23rd May 2004 (Photo: Jo Hunter)

The Maestro with scholarship winner Georgie Dixon

Two Jags Dezza!

Dennisimo's Jaguars

“I acquired 1 DRK through a private advert in the Sunday Telegraph in 1972,” says Dennis. “I bought it from a lovely blonde lady in Ilfracombe for £250. I always have a little smile when I think back on that special occasion!”

"The striking combination of great registration and E-Type Jaguar has even caught the eye of the boys in blue. One Sunday afternoon, I was driving past Kenley Airfield in Surrey, when a police car coming the other way stopped me. I wondered what on earth I'd done. The police driver wound down his window and called out, ‘Excuse me Sir, I just wanted to have a drool!’"

“I purchased the E-type new in 1970 as an ex-demonstrator. It is a 1969 ‘One and a Half’ convertible model, serial E2054. It is still virtually as new and absolutely original. Many are the times I've been told ‘I bet you’ve pulled some girls in that car’. My standard reply was .. ‘They’re not rust patches down the side of the bonnet: they’re conquest notches!’.”

“I have taught quite a few motoring racers in my time” Dennis recalls. “The late Barry Sheene, God bless him; the 1986 F1 world champion Alan Jones, who I was with when he won the USA Formula One Grand Prix in the car park of Ceasars Palace in Las Vegas! Also Jonathan Palmer and the rally man, Tony Pond. Even Mark Thatcher, who bought his Bell Jet Ranger from my company.”

Dennisimo is keen on the saying "You're as old as the woman you feel" and I'm wondering, with the various references to the opposite sex, whether you have any Italian blood in you Dennis! Lol!

Anyway for your appreciation of the fairer sex and for your spirited flying you may consider yourself an honorary Italian!

Some birthday nostalgia:

Do you remember this ship, G-BALE. First delivered to Patrick Everard of Ratcliffe Hall Leicestershire in January '73 and then onto OATS in October '75. From OATS she went to Reynard Racing Cars prior to ending-up with John Woodhouse under who's patronage she perished.

F28-A G-BALE belonging to OATS at Kidlington as seen on 29th June 1978 (Photo: Peter Nicholson)

Another old flame may have been G-BASV. Bought by Spooner in '73 then on to Michael Hughes of Beaconsfield later the same year. Then she went to Quantel Ltd, next to Margaret Adelaide and finally, as with BALE above, to OATS (CSE) who managed to finish her off!

F28-A G-BASV at Booker in 1975 (Photo: Peter Ashton)

I have to drop in this image (below) from 1977 at Biggin Hill (taken on the day I first met you) when you were flying the ubiquitous G-BENO from whence the Colonel dervied his 'Dennis the Menace' nickname.

Dennis is observed bowing his head (see below) just prior to commencing his display. Word is that he was reciting one of his pre-display prayers which went something like this: "Dear God please let me perform an outstanding f**king display, one that will attract the attention of the most gorgeous girl in the crowd so that she will feel compelled to come and look me up when I'm done. I'll treat her right - I promise!"

The Menace about to commence his trademark performance at Biggin Hill on 14 May 1977 (Photo: Peter Nicholson) ps: In those days the Kenyon used to pick-up a bucket of water with the left skid prior to performing his pirouettes!

And finally, the Maestro in action in September last year:

Question: The Menace would have been 48 (or a number which rhymes with 48) when performing the above display. How many people do you imagine are delivering such performances at this age? Precious few one imagines. Bravo Dennis!

Ah Dennis, all the best for a great day.

Brgds

Sav