PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Rotor RPM
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2011, 01:02
BumblebeeHPH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPH Hop Questions

1. Wobbling: that was unexpected. The rotors were balanced as well as I could. I believe what is occuring is a main torque tube is flexing in the center. The tube spans about 9 feet and has a thin schedule wall. There is no center hub. I am working to provide 2 or 3 spaced teflon guides for the main tube. In addition, I will check the balance on the rotors, this time with some assistance. (they are much to manage for one person.)

2. Forward sweep: I made an assumption, centrifugal force would align them. Thoughts or Suggestions? It is limited, but may have negative ramifications. The Rotors are not showing any signs of strain from this movement. I am also trying to figure how to lighten these blades, perhaps cut out, perhaps, laminate some thin composite or wood to make the surface area larger in addition to providing more strength.

3. Pitch: curiosity. We wanted to see how much drag was induced if we began to apply collective. It was minimal, and the degree was estimated.
What appeared to be a null pitch at first, after closer examination (three opinions) we agreed it appeared to actually be slightly negative (at the tip). So we corrected it after the first spin-ups.

4.Controls: It is entirely doable with the arms and wrists (providing Mechanical advantage can be within operable limits). I will post the videos when I have this complete. I understand the concerns and they are definately affecting the ergonomic design of the controls. It is an uneducated guess at this point (as is the rest of the craft)

Sorry, those are the best answers I have for you.
Thanks for interest.