PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Support for Qantas Staff
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 22:38
Wunwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is going on in this context is a mirror of the debate that we should be having as a Nation. Apart from digging holes and drilling pipes inthe ground, what employment do we intend to have in the near future for our citizens?

I find (again) TBM comments astounding. TBM,you have kids and you are not interested in what they will do in the future?I suspect that this debate is far more important than a child missing a flight.

The fact is that Australia, the Nation, not the airlines, own the international traffic rights and these rights should be used for maximum benefit to the Nation, not just to the benefit of a small group of self interested parties.It is hard to see a better benefit than employment, taxation, defence, local investment and a well managed and profitable Australian airline industry where employees work hard and are remunerated accordingly. This has certainly benefited Australia up to recent times. Now we only see benefit in going for the cheapest and that means offshoring.However Executives are never offshored are they?

All this was tried with our shipping industry and now it barley exists.Are we now heading to a transport industry, including domestic, that totally relies on overseas assets and labour? If its OK for domestic airlines why not buses or trucks? Why can't we use 247 visas to drive our trains?

The problem with Qantas is the when it was privatised the sale included the Qantas Sale Act.It was there to stop exactly what now seems to be happening.The Govt as whole (all parties) need to examinine what is going on and act now or repeal the sale act altogether in an act of honesty.

As a shareholder in Qantas I am disgusted with Qantas management.The share price is at an all time low and their solution seems to be pay themselves more, propose wild schemes and pick arguments with every employee in sight.

Government,where are you?

Wunwing

Last edited by Wunwing; 4th Oct 2011 at 02:56.