PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farewell Maritime
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 14:46
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
While my information is anecdotal, I believe Moray College is running a series of "free" courses for people being made redundant from Kinloss.

While these courses are free to the student, they are of course not "free" as such. They are being funded by central government. This is one example of measures being take to help Morayshire, I believe there are others. You could argue that the retention of Lossiemouth vs Leuchars, and moving the Army into Kinloss, were measures designed to help the Moray economy.

Ok, so the region has not been made a Special Economic Zone (do they exist in Scotland?), but some efforts are being made, the area is not being totally cut adrift. Obviously whatever is done will not be enough for some people....

While I am no fan of politicians, and maybe any measures taken were for their own reasons (although the area is a staunch SNP seat so there is little to be gained apart from a bit of good PR), to say that no politician gives a t**s for the area is not supported by the facts.

But why let the facts get in the way of a pprune whingefest!??