PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 14:20
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CONF iture
What strikes me by reading the Airbus Flight Safety Magazine is :

It is important to know that if such a thrust increase was applied when the aircraft is already stalled, the longitudinal effect would bring the aircraft further into the stall, to a situation possibly unrecoverable.

Originally Posted by AlphaZuluRomeo
Indeed. And What strikes me by reading the same sentence is that a situation possibly unrecoverable is not clearly defined....
I find too that the article and also the presentation need some refinement. The presentation - link posted also by:
Originally Posted by mm43;Post #1010
.... Airbus power-point presentation on their revised Stall Recovery Procedure.
has some ambiguities that may lead to misunderstanding. While the "Loss of speed" for a certain AOA, is mentioned as an important element contributing to a STALL, on page 8, the text "Stall is an AOA problem only. It is NOT directly a speed issue" may be misinterpreted.

While removing the "increase of thrust" from the list of actions for "gaining speed" is understandable because of its effects for the type of engines mount, on increasing the AOA, contributing to the STALL, the "gaining of speed" is still important. It is part of the solution/recovery, and the change of AOA - bring the nose down - is a means to achieve just that. I think more clarity would be helpful, as the training should not have an ambiguity which would allow the interpretation that gaining speed when the nose is down is wrong.

Last edited by airtren; 3rd Oct 2011 at 18:06.