PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferranti Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 12:19
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shane

Not being an Alouette III flyer I cannot answer you with ceritiude but I am reasonably confident that the craft would not have suffered with a 'problem' of ground resonance per se.

What I think one might be able to assume is that as with all three-or-more bladed rotorcraft, the Alouette III would have been susceptible to ground resonance. If I remember rightly, three-bladed craft with tricycle undercarriage were most susceptible to this phenomenon and which, if so, would have meant that Alouette III drivers may have needed to exercise a little more vigilance while earthbound with rotors running.

A brief re-cap on ground resonance:

Ground resonance is a hazardous condition that can occur any time the rotor of a helicopter or gyroplane is turning while the aircraft is on the ground. Similar in concept to the behaviour of a washing machine when the clothes are concentrated at one point during the spin cycle, ground resonance can occur with a rotorcraft when the spacing between blades become irregular or the damping system, including drag hinge dampers, landing gear oleo struts, or wheel tire pressure, is operating out of limits. Ground resonance occurs at three rotor rpm bands, the first at about one-third of normal rotor speed, the second at a range including normal rotor speed, and the last in a range above normal rotor speed.

Ground resonance is precipitated by a shock to the aircraft arising from excessive motion of a rotor blade in its plane of rotation thereby moving the rotor center of gravity from the axis of rotation. Inadequate damping allows the rotor center of gravity to spiral away from the rotor axis of rotation, causing the rotor to generate unbalanced rotating moments beyond the compensating ability of the damping system. In addition to damping system malfunctions mentioned above, such blade movement can occur as a result of taxying over rough ground with the rotor turning at a speed within a susceptible range, or takeoff/landing in which a shock occurs to one side of the landing gear.

Under extreme conditions, the initial shock can cause violent oscillations that quickly build and result in catastrophic damage of the entire airframe. In some cases, complete destruction occurs, e.g. body panels, fuel tanks, and engines are all ripped about normal rotor speed.

Recovery is possible in some cases. If sufficient rotor RPM exists, immediate takeoff can restore rotor balance. If rotor RPM is low, complete shutdown might be sufficient.

Two bladed semi-rigid see-saw (underslung) type rotor systems are not susceptible to ground resonance because the blades do not lead and lag.
Some examples of ground resonance:

Both of these clips have done the rounds on Rotorheads - the first shows a Gazelle which seems to have entered the 'shakes' as a result of the landing (perhaps it was a little firm) but I think on the Gazelle thread someone mentioned that there was a lever which operated some kind of damper for the landing gear (intriguing) and which may not have been engaged.

The second vid is a straightforward 'test' where a Chook is allowed to shake itself to bits. Presumably maintenance were fed up with this airframe!

Ground Resonance - Side View - YouTube

And finally, given that you are from the Emerald Isle, that you seem to have an interest in rotorcraft from times past and that you've mentioned the Alouette III, I submit this image (which I think was originally posted on the Bristow thread):

An Irish Helicopters Alouette III 'somewhere sometime' with a Bristow Whirlwind in the background

Rgds

Sav