PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 08:58
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle

I have never tried that hack. I have simply always done "IFR" in the "classical" manner i.e. develop a Eurocontrol route (using Flightplanpro, etc) and this gives you the terminating waypoints directly, which join onto the sids/stars published for that airport (Eurocontrol have all sids and stars in their database). That is how one is supposed to do it and it is what ATC expect.

Your method has been used, as an enroute hack to circumvent Eurocontrol route validation. It is possible to get a flight plan into the system on any route whatsoever if one specifies each waypoint as VORrrrddd because this disables Eurocontrol route validation (well, maybe not if the leg thus specified crosses a national frontier, or exceeds the DCT MAX for that airspace) but I don't think ATC like it very much if the result is something really nonstandard.

I have enquired about this in the past on ATC forums and it appears that the ability of the ATCO to see a thus specified route graphically (i.e. make sense of it) varies from one country to another.

Also, if you fly non-validated routes, you do need to get enroute notams, because the filed route won't be protected from military etc exercises by the normal mechanism of Eurocontrol (IFPS) checking, and when you actually fly it, ATC are going to divert you somewhere else.

But the biggest issue I suspect is that you are filing a nonstandard procedure which will play havoc with ATC expectations in the terminal area.

On the flight to LJPZ (which I did the other week) what actually happens is that you can get, by asking, a DCT to LJPZ as soon as you are in Slovenian airspace (at PESUT) and at that point you get a stepped descent, which in the GA context can usually be implemented as a continuous descent. So this is perhaps a bad example, since that part of the world is really relaxed.

Switzerland (LGKR-LSZR) would be more prescriptive. They definitely want you at or around KPT, and from there you get vectors to the ILS.

Perhaps RMK/PILOT HOLDS EIR might also help - assuming that the ATS provider bothers to read the full FPL, of course!
I think you are assuming a whole new dimension in ATC training. Maybe it will happen...

Re reading the full FPL, ATC don't see the full FPL. IFR controllers normally see just the filed route, I gather. The full FPL is retrieved only if you go missing, etc.