PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 05:55
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airliners degradation (design flaws, SW bugs, incorrect algorithms, MEL issues, etc)

When facing important failures (design flawns, algorithms, etc.) you must be able to aviate and "accomplish your mission". A pilot MUST know how to, INDEPENDENTLY of the degree of TYPICAL degradation in the a/c.

(Typical: The Probable and even the Possible in practical terms)

The best way is to deliver (after the degradation) to the crew a basic machine which they (MUST) know VERY WELL in order to "complete the mission".

The "graceful degradation feature" of the a/c never could create complex scenarios difficult or impossible to be "solved" in time by the crew.

And to allow the crew to aviate, the design (law reversion, human machine interface, etc.) must be "State of the art". To allow a "basic" simple operation. A K.I.S.S. one. When mostly needed.

Obs. Obviously, i am not speaking about maintenance related failures or other "external" degradation factors.

DozyWannabe, I will answer ASAP important considerations of your recent posts.

Just a preliminary remark: Obviously the "mechanisms" involved in a modern airliner are growing in complexity. When i mention the K.I.S.S. concept i am not speaking about what is inevitable. Einstein put this very clear. There is a threshold.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 3rd Oct 2011 at 11:05.