PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar, or Etihad?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 03:24
Fr8Dogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaps99 couldn't be more Spot On. I myself am in the identical situation, working for QR, Widebody, Western point of view, and single.

I would just like to emphasize what a HUGE impact on your personal life the cabin crew rules will have on you if you are single and join QR. It may seem like a minor issue prior to joining, however after a few years here the frustration level has me looking to Abu Dhabi. Because lets face it... 90% of the time you wind up dating who you work with, and your personal life is part of the QR package.

If you are certain that once in Doha all you are going to do is "play around" then great, you'll have no problems. But God forbid you find yourself in an adult relationship and want to act as adults. Not Allowed. Cabin Crew rules:

- 3:30am Curfew (Anytime in Doha, Off Days inclusive)
- No visitors after 10pm (Days Off, None if on Stdby or min rest)
- Must be in Accommodation 12hrs before pickup or Stdby (Often infringes on Off Days)
- Must Swipe their ID to enter Accommodation (One Entrance with Guard)
- Cameras on their Buildings (Often fired if seen breaking Curfew or Min Rest)
- Must be in the company 3 years in order to be able to "ask Permission" to marry from the Chief!!

I know from an outside point of view this issue will seem like "no big deal" as far as a career move. But join QR, and find yourself getting to bed solo at 4am after dropping off your significant other, only to have your alarm go off a few hours later for a ULR flight a few times, and see how much of a "big deal" it is.

If you are single, EY is BY FAR the better choice as far as quality of life...