PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic restrictions 2012
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 23:37
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just what colour is the sky where you are??
Its royal blue most of the time, hence my positive outlook on life.

Ok use of the word "every" was OTT.

Principle remains. Flights originating from small fields and abroad would have to stay x flight minutes from London if they did not have a code.
To get a code they would have to land and be checked out.

iven the fact that most pilots cannot use a damn wiz wheel adequately I feel it may not work
Pilots do not need to use any hardware, it would be police or "security" (perhaps authorised airport personnel) who would enter the data, it would take about 30 seconds to enter but of course time consuming to physically check the aircraft.

The idea is to establish security before take off so some threats can be identified in good time for those flying without a code.

Aircraft checks could include the use of the latest form of explosives detection, where a wipe or spray is used which changes colour if it comes into contact with a target substance.
Would cost around £1.50p for each check.NanoTechCafe
This kind of technology is a game changer that does not require a +£20k in capital costs (like an electronic sniffer) and training is straightforward.

I'm not saying the combination of airport checks and the code is going to stop a determined terrorist, but it ticks the boxes in a practical and meaningful way, for a low outlay. It could be used in the future too.

Mickjoebill

Last edited by mickjoebill; 2nd Oct 2011 at 23:47.