PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fit in the training plane?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 21:52
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
It is rather more complex than just height.

When I used to worry about these things more than I do now, and occasionally participate in cockpit assessments, I had to have recorded my height, sitting height, thigh length, leg length and functional reach. In some aeroplanes, including the C150, you could make a strong case that shoulder width is also a significant player.

Now, you could get all that measured and compare that to the - probably nonexistent - cockpit assessment reports.

Or, far more sensibly, you could go and find somebody with a C150 (or any other type you're concerned about), sit in it, get a representative "other pilot" / instructor to sit next to you, and see if you are comfortable, can see out, and can get full and free movement on all of the controls (with the doors closed, a headset on, and a standard kneeboard strapped to your thigh).

That will answer the question for you better than any statement of "I'm this tall and can/can't fly a Cessna 1#2" on here because we're all different shapes, as well as different heights.

G