PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 17:24
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
dublinpilot, yes, you are correct - that's how the proposal has been written.

However, I think that it's tempting fate to allow EIR holders to have a sniff, then divert. The ± 1 hr should take care of any TEMPO because
TEMPO is used to indicate a period of temporary fluctuations to the forecast conditions during a specified part of the TAF. The fluctuations are expected to last less than one hour in each instance and in aggregate less than half the specified period.
I vaguely remember that you aren't allowed to take off unless your planned destination is forecast to be within your limits at your planned ETA, but am open to correction!

Some years ago I was based at RAF Wattisham on the F-4. One day our SATCO told us that some light aircraft had asked to divert in as its destination was out of limits. He checked the pilot's destination forecast and it was obvious that there hadn't been a cat in hell's chance of it being in limits for most of the day, so the diversion was refused and the pilot was advised to call Norwich or Stansted....

My rule of thumb used to be to ignore TEMPOs unless both destination AND alternate were TEMPO'ing below limits.