PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 14:47
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In order to comply with FCL.825 (a)(2), the holder of an EIR should not commence or continue a flight during which it is intended to exercise the privileges of the rating unless the forecast for the destination or alternate aerodrome one hour before and one hour after the planned time of arrival indicates VMC.
I find this rater interesting on two counts.

Firstly my reading says to me that an EIR holder can plan to an airport with marginal conditions and see what it's like when they get there, if they have an alternate which is in forecast VMC +/-1 hour.

Secondly it calls for the airport to be in VMC. I take this to mean that it's capable of accepting landing/departing traffic under VFR. It's quite possible to have an airport in VMC, but which still have an OVC which is below 1000ft above the highest obstacle within 5nm. It seems to me that if an EIR holder was stupid enough to try it, they could plan to an airport that they had no chance of landing at.

Should they not have said that the destination should have forecast conditions which would allow the flight to arrive under VFR rather than state that the airport itself if VMC?