PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 02:54
xmh53wrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont know how else to make folks aware of these pictures, they are pretty incredible

Ghost photo w/out trimtab - Page 12 - Aviation Airshow Air Race Photography Discussion

post 114

Ok, I realize I'm new here so I hope I'm not overstepping. Nevermind my lack of knowledge regarding all of this. But here it goes. About three days ago I sat down and did my version of a timeline/order of events based on the slow-mo video. Alot of what you folks have said have really proven what I was thinking. But I have a few questions, observations and personal theories on a few things.
a. Regarding the pics of the oil canned fuselage, I remember the original post, but I'll be if I can find it again....I believe it was taken in the VOS, and I personally think that it may be somewhat normal for GG as I have seen another photo with it from 2010 and without the scoop for support, who knows what effect that had on that area.
b. I have noticed on various other videos GG heading into turns and really looking unstable, is this a function of its tiny ailerons?
c. I am also of the opinion that he was really stretching her legs down the VOS that last time, and wonder just what kind of G's were experienced in 7 and 8 vs. what he had experienced before.
d. I also wonder what are the chances that he was reaching a very critical stage of GLOC (probably not the right term at this point) just as the a/c goes wings vert by cutting a tight corner over 8. And his completely natural instincts took over for a split second to right the a/c, but in the process over corrected and inadvertantly over pulled the mayday manuver putting himself completely out.
e. I subscribe to the pushing him down in the cockpit thus displacing the control stick forward and to the right, and thus commanding the a/c to come out of its climb and roll to the right.
f. Now, in the slow-mo I hear a click....is this the mystery pop....maybe the math wizards out there can guesstimate based on distance, time vs. sound when exactly that pop occurred during the sequence.
g. Does anybody else see vapor below the wings during the initial wing vert and what I consider a slight climb (even though the a/c is 90 degree to the ground it still appears as a climb to me based on the a/c taking on what appears to me as more positive G's.......or is it just reflection?
d. Now for my big question....with the exception of the somewhat level flight in the VOS....why would these a/c require so much nose down trim. To my totally untrained way of thinking that some of this nose up tendency would be beneficial during their long banking turns, it would really give the a/c a feeling of digging into the turn. But that said I have seen a pic of GG with that poor little tab really up in the airstream, also what would the purpose be of not using both, I would think that would put a great deal of torsional stress on the entire elevator system.

OK....mods delete away if need be, or feel free to scold me through a pm. As I said before I dreamed, built, babied, and raced my own cars for 20 years (the dreaming part started when I was 6.....a lonnngggg time ago) so I understand a bit of the mechanical part of this and certainly the competitive aspect of this, although I would never have the scrotal fortitude to do what these cowboys do.

Thanks for your patience with this book of a post. That airplane was just plain sexy....maybe too sexy

Last edited by xmh53wrench; 2nd Oct 2011 at 10:03. Reason: wrong link