PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 01:49
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infrequentflyer789
Some people here seem to be ascribing far more complexity and "intelligence" to the aircraft systems than is actually present.
You win the last couple of pages of this thread.

Originally Posted by gums
Our sfwe was not trying to be "intelligent", and "guess" what the human wanted to do.
I missed this statement earlier, but when I did see it I wondered where otherwise intelligent and logical people get their information. The FCU does neither of these things. Under manual control and in Normal Law it simply responds to commands - the only time protections come into play is when what is being commanded exceeds the pre-programmed design limits of the aircraft, in which case it will respond to every command that would not exceed that limit. No "intelligence" beyond a set of pre-programmed responses, no "guessing".

Originally Posted by gums
Further, their training seemed to emphasize all the FBW protections and the cascade of control law reversions that attempted to retain bank angle limits, pitch angle limits, AoA limits ( read Alpha prot), mach/overspeed warnings, etc. Sheesh!!! Think you would be confused?
Quite where gums gets his information on AF training procedures I am not sure, but he sounds awfully certain.