PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over square
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2011, 22:12
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You said
It does seem that some people here are advocating landing with the prop at the descent setting (correct me if I'm wrong).

If you don't slam the pitch into full fine while carrying Vref + say 30kts, you won't get the prop bouncing off the redline while it attempts to govern your hamfisted commands.

Pitch max will also provide a very useful source of drag to provide that last bit of deceleration over the fence and give you the best climb ability in the event of a go-around.

During a go-around, why wouldn't you maximise your RoC by using T/O power? Height is your friend. Get it ASAP! Once a a safe height, then use the max cont. pwr settings (which most likely are your baulked landing figures....coincidence?)

I said
MIHC

I am not sure anyone said full fine on short final was an OWT of sorts, if I did say that well clearly I am losing the plot. What I did say..... Quote:
Why not land with the pitch control still set from the cruise. say 2300 RPM. Why not, in the event of a baulked landing, RED/BLUE/BLACK, in about the time you read that, or if you can do all at the same time, who cares. It will not make any difference. Now you are climbing away at full bore max rate.
So if it makes you feel better going full fine on final, well do so, just dont go boring downwind at 120 knots and back to 2700RPM making an almight noise that only winds up the people who leave near to the aerodrome. They get enough on takeoff so halve the number of 2700RPM events

Despite what your instructor once taught you, you can learn a whole new more neighbour friendly and sensible "checklist" that is not dangerous and is "better" in some ways.
Now lets examine this a little closer...........

Where does it say NOT to do what most are suggesting? Also Where does it say that you must do the full fine thing, i.e does it say on down wind or just over the fence ready for your feared GA?

What I and most others are saying is do not go blasting down final or earlier with 2700RPM, rather if you want it already in the fine position at some mystical point ob very short final, knock your socks off.

Now as for my assuming you need fine pitch to rectify your approaches I am sure you are skilled enough to get your profile right from 30 miles out, its not that hard if I can do it. But this is a common misuse of a big noise generator.

And re-read what I said, especially the first few words.
So if it makes you feel better going full fine on final, well do so, just dont go boring downwind at 120 knots and back to 2700RPM making an almight noise that only winds up the people who leave near to the aerodrome. They get enough on takeoff so halve the number of 2700RPM events
I am off out the door for more flight testing.....and I am really concerned about the approaches in this thing, how do I get full fine on late final.......its a fixed pitch cruise prop will I crash and burn in a GA, will I have no climb performance. Ohhh dear once they put a CSU on a C172 they should have recalled all the others with fixed props for a change out.

Now yes I am taking the pi$$ a little here, and poking a bit of fun, but the point is........there is no danger in leaving the cruise rpm set, unless there is a LIMITATION saying otherwise. Remember RED/BLUE/BLACK