PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COMMENT OF THE WEEK
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2011, 17:28
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Then there's the "Gee, I love your accent!" thing. Which, to be fair, one can use to one's advantage as many a Vulcanologist will know only too well....

Spams can be a bit....direct in bars. I recall being at Barksdale Officers' Club about a million years ago. The barman was a wonderful old black guy called Charles, who everyone in SAC must have come across at one time or another. A true gent and someone who fully met the 'dignity of service' ethos which was once the hallmark of many who were proud to work in the service industry.

One Happy Hour, some chisel-featured LeMay wannabee went up to the bar and yelled "Hey, gimme a CC - rocks". Which meant a Canadian Club whisky on ice.

Charles (whose accent was normally impeccable) went into an 'Uncle Tom' mode... "Yes,m boss, I just dealin' wi'd dese gennl'men, den dese poor old hands be servin' ya'll jus' as quick as dey can" Upon which he turned to us and asked what we'd like "Thank you, Mr Charles, but could we please have another 2 jugs of your finest ale, if you would be so kind?" "It would be my pleasure, gentlemen", he replied.

After both we and the ignorant Spam had been served, Charles confided "Ignorant young a$$hole, hasn't he heard that slavery has ended?"

Anyone know whether old Charles is still alive? I hope that he's having a long and happy retirement.

Last edited by BEagle; 1st Oct 2011 at 22:10.