PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accident Statistics
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2002, 19:50
Bof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightningmate

Any mark of Meteor would give you a severe "leg-tremble" if you put full chat on the live engine and allowed the speed to come below 125Kts, but I guess the T7 was worst, or the earlier 3s and 4s which all had the kind of egg shaped fin and rudder.

Most multis will run out of rudder authority in the severe assymetric case below Vmca. In the Meteor you also ran out of strength in your leg muscles. You could just about cope in a 7 with both pilots pushing like the clappers. Didn't stop you losing control though!

2TWU

As Beagle said, I reckon those crash stats were probably very true. The great majority occurred from 50 to 55. There were also a lot more of us. 15 Meteor NF Squadrons alone each with around twenty crews. There just wasn't enough appreciated about the old girl's vices in those days, especially in training. Once guys got on the squadron and got a few more hours under their belts - things improved a lot
As for Phantom dives - they happened if you got low and slow on one engine and forgot to put your airbrakes in. When you put the gear down, one leg came down first and the beast would yaw if you weren't ready for it. In yawing, one inner wing would be blanketed by the forward fuselage, and with brakes out as well, lift would disappear rather rapidly from that wing and you rolled right over. Bit close to the ground and goodnight.
Witness the last accident with the Vintage pair - I gather that was a Phantom dive problem.

As for the baddie at Driffield, I was holding there for a month in Jan 52 before going to ITS (Initia Training School) prior to FTS in Rhodesia, and the accident happened before I got there. Two solo students being led by an instructor let down over the sea before turning round and coming backto Driffield under the clag.
Unfortunately, they flew straight into the cliff. Can't remember whether the QFI pulled up in time - twas over 50 years ago!

I think Beagle may have got the area a bit mixed up. Around 55, the Day Fighter Leaders School (DFLS) had a formation up -returning to West Raynham - got a feeling they were Hunters but I could be wrong. Anyway, typical of those days, you had to wring as much as possible out of the sortie, so overhead with enough fuel for a couple of circuits!! I think about 6 bailed out one after the other!

Incidentally, you mentioned Canberra training losses. The loss of aircraft practicing assymetric was pretty horrendous - why? Because we always actually shut the engine down and not just back to idle. More realistic they said!! It was like that until the late 60s when we lost our first two Hercs through assymetric practice and somebody saw the light!

Ah me, all this reminiscing. Where are you Flatus Veteranus now that I need you. My cup runneth over! I never did find out if Cess Crook actually set fire to the leave train!!