PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF funeral question
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2011, 16:30
Bitmap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF funeral question

Hi, I'm not military but have an enquiring mind and have enjoyed lurking here for a while. My brother was in the RAF and he was killed in the early 80's, when off duty; He is written in the book at St Clement Danes but not on the new national memorial wall as he was off duty. I was recently talking to someone about him and about the funeral and in hindsight the RAF seemed to go to quite a big effort. We had the 'knock on the door' with an officer from the local RAF station and for his funeral the following week a high ranking Chaplin flew in to take the service, his uniformed colleagues were also there and served as pall bearers. We had a union flag on the coffin, there was a bugler and they arranged a flypast from the local UAS, I believe it was. I was very proud of him and the RAF involvement in his funeral really cemented that and his memories. He was 'just' an SAC with about seven years service. I was just wondering if this was the normal level of support they gave to the families, I hadn't really thought about it that way before.