PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2011, 08:30
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be very cautious of taking off where the temperatures meant any ice I picked up I would hold to the ground.
That is especially true of low powered non deice/anti ice piston singles.
All true but there are degrees of it.

If you have a base of say 1000ft and you can see blue sky, and there is no obvious substantial vertical development, the tops will be about 3000-4000ft, and rarely if ever will ice be picked up during a +1000fpm climb.

It is hard to determine tops and whther those tops 40 miles down road dont go up.
You can get a pretty good view of tops from various sources e.g. satellite IR. The general situation is also apparent from the MSLP chart; in a high pressure area between fronts the conditions are going to be fairly uniform in the winter, and the preceeding 0000/1200Z ascent data can often be used. But there is no data source which will tell you if the tops are 4000ft or 6000ft, so if the base of Class A is FL055 then this cannot be used for IMCR type flight. But it can be used for IR flight, where you would climb straight to FL100-150 etc.

It needs to be done intelligently, but one needs to be careful to not simply ban all flight in any IMC if the surface temp is below 0C. But yes this issue (landing with any ice picked up) does particularly cripple flight on the IMCR in the winter.