PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2011, 07:11
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Gen - thanks for your SYP Police Authority meeting, very interesting

berty - I think you'll find that it was quite clearly stated in the meeting that SYP would not receive the 40% HO grant, when they look at replacing their machine, so the Authority Members were aware of that. It's also why they were arguing that instead of paying £340k into the NPAS hull replacement scheme, they calculated that at £5m capital, less £1.5 trade in, they'd need to build their own fund of £3.5m over 10 years, or £350k per year, to get their own aircraft, 100% funded by themselves. (From what I saw/heard, the Member discussing it didn't quite get to these figs, but that is what he was trying to say)
It would seem a valid argument for any Authority, and even if they were to put a little more into the pot for inflation &/or reduced residual value, it wouldn't come out at much more than the NPAS figure.

One problem would be that, if they want something different from the masses (Gold standard), it'll probaly cost more than the bulk deal - - but if they were able to join in with the NPAS deal, which the manufacturers would surely be happy with, and NPAS (who should be representing the taxpayer) should not disallow, they'll get a very adequate machine at a sensible price.
It rather depends on your view of how NPAS regard themselves as far as their "responsibility to the taxpayer" goes, and whether there'd be political pressure to shut a "rogue" Authority out of negotiations. Whether they like it or not, that's what NPAS there to do, be responsible with our money, rather than empire building! Personally, I have my concerns.

Blue Thunder - you raise another valid point, re Dave & directly elected comissioners. A complete cluster-f*** IMHO. The current system of (mostly) elected local Authority Members has shown, by SYP's fine example, to work very well in their decision to help the Police serve the public in the area they represent. They should be heralded as having stood up for the law-abiding majority, most of whom will have to actually pay for the service of finding the vulnerable or slapping down the minority of scallys!