PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over square
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2011, 13:26
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jas.......I am not sure how I am supposed to know you well enough, and if I do know you outside PPRuNe land, suggest that we get together for some airborne education as per Jamiars post above.
Jaba, just kinda figured you'd seen enough posts from me over the years to figure out when i'm jesting

If you're ever in the YCEM area, i'll take you up on that

Your video's. The first. Isn't that simply extreme water washing of the blades? alternatively, on the Pilots incident report, didn't he write 'multiple water induced flameout' as his cause of accident?

The second.........thats simply the marine corp's method of helping the greens with man made reefs.

As for Jamair's post. A good read indeed.
Power Reduction on after take-off. Silly idea. It climbs better with more power anyway. Most CSU types have a 5 min limit on take-off power. That doesn't say pull the power immediately. 5 mins gives you enough time to get clear of the circuit and your heading and cruise climb sorted.
That got me thinking about driving twins, and the need/desire to get them props in sync. Looking at my BE95 docs, for ISA thats going to be 25.5/2450 to remain in the MCP envelope. I even perused the pic i have the panels of 2 of the travel airs I fly looking for a time limit placard...couldn't find it. Open to suggestions here, and will go chat to a baron owner i know who has done a couple of BPPP's and see what he has to say.

ROP/LOP. when in doubt consult the bible

Shock cooling. ok ok....blame my time hanging around glider ops where shock cooling presents a very real problem for the Tugs.

Turbo cooling. absolute drivel.....i just crack up at the ricer owners that fit turbo timers. They aren't pushing it hard enough to need it. If it needed it the factory would fit it...and damm likewise for aero engines. The only time a turbo timer really needs consideration is on a vehicle being used for towing, and even then you should consider what the vehicle was doing prior to your desired shutdown. if you have been moping around town, you're pretty safe to shut down, but if you have just worked it hard to climb a big hill and want to stop at the top for a cuppa tea and sticky bun, then sure let the turbo timer do its thing, coz the trans could probably use the help also. The only factory fitted 'turbo timer' i have seen is on my Fathers Mack. It has an electronic cummins turbo in it. Tho it doesn't time things, it actually checks turbo temperature, and prevents shut down until the temps come down to the right parameters.....sometimes as little as ten seconds at most 2 minutes.

Loving this thread.

Jas