PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over square
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2011, 00:48
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c;mon jab,
you should know me well enough by now that I don't write something that lengthy to be a wind up.
Jas.......I am not sure how I am supposed to know you well enough, and if I do know you outside pprune land, suggest that we get together for some airborne education as per Jamiars post above.

SHOCK COOLING.....you mean like this?

or this

So shock cooling, well short of diving into a lake, I think you have far more important things to worry about on descent, unless there is a lake in close proximity. Shock Heating is probably more severe than cooling as far as Delta T is concerned but nobody seems to worry about starting their engines (except in freezing places but they use sump heaters etc).

Carb heat use being one (how quickly does the exhaust manifold cool down in a glide? does it cool down? how much heat is needed from the source to provide reliable carb heat) etc.
This is an excellent question. I can't quote you numbers off the top of my head, but I have had the good fortune to be testing a beautiful RV-7A of late, it has an awesome Dynon Skyview panel and the owner put a carby temp sensor on the O-360 and has this displayed on the EMS page. It is quite interesting to watch the temp change with throttle on and off, but I have not paid particular attention to how quick the carby heat works after a long power off descent. Maybe this weekend I will have another play and see what it does. Download of data would be interesting too! If I find anything worthy of reporting I will do so next week.

J