PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2011, 07:13
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I used the Club a couple of weeks ago to entertain some Foreign Johnnies visiting London for DSEi at Docklands. Once again, I treated them to High Tea in the Cowdray Room. It went down a treat*, and I'm sure left the impression that we all take high tea like that. But then we do, don't we?

Seriously, this form of soft diplomacy costs naff all but generates good will (and defence sales). UK Trade and Investment reckon on a 1:19 return on this sort of hosting; DSEi alone will generate sales running into the Billions.

The Club is a great Service, indeed National, asset, but it remains important that the Club continues to meet the needs of serving officers, primus inter pares, which I beleive it still does. Bookings are a measure of the popularity of the club - speculatively, I suppose I get a 50/50 chance of getting a room if I ring up with a week to go. Pity it wasn't made easier on the DHRS/HRG/Whatever it's called now.
*There were two embarrasing moments when I asked one of my party to leave a briefcase at reception; later on, I had to politely ask one of them to step out of the lounge when the BlackBerry rang out with a God-awful tune. Some people...