PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2011, 05:31
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Griffo, great stuff!

When you get back to Blighty perhaps you might rummage around and see whether you have any photos from your Dad's flying days as I am sure they would be mighty interesting!

Keep the thread going ..
I'll do my best but .. I'm conscious that there are plently of PPRuNers out there with access to family photos which would be fascinating to many. Furthermore there are several lifetimes of aviation related stories and anecdotes waiting to be told - so, anyone reading this who has been sitting on the fence with regard to posting some history .. please get off and begin posting. Then perhaps one morning over breakfast (when I most frequently browse PPRuNe) maybe I will be able to sit back and read some interesting helicopter nostalgia for a change, lol!

More Floating Alouettes!

Alouette II OH-HIS at Inari in Finland in 1968 (Photo: Antti Pesonen)

In 1968 this Finnish Alouette II was positioned to the lakeside village of Inari in Finland from where the craft would uplift Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands to facilitate their visit to the Lemmenjoki goldfields.

The photo was taken by the pilot, Antti Pesonen who credits the chap on the float as being the copters mechanic (although to me he seems to be wearing what appears to be a military uniform, while the craft is clearly on the civil register) another conundrum no doubt.

President and Mrs Truman welcoming Queen Juliana of the Netherlands and her husband Prince Bernhard (in Naval uniform) at Washington National Airport on 2nd April 1952

In The Hills

The French aviator Jean Moire lands his Bell 47 G2 F-BHGJ atop Mont Blanc (Monte Bianco) at 4,807 metres (15,772 feet) on 6th June 1955

Of course Monte Bianco properly belongs to Italy but, I shan't get into that now.

We've been enjoying some great views of Nepal courtesy of Vertical Freedom on the RATW Thread and here is some Nepalese nostalgia:

Agusta-Bell 206 JetRanger 9N-ABE of Royal Nepal Airlines high in the Himalayas

Anyone with further details of this craft and when she flew for Royal Nepal would be appreciated.