PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headset Slipping under G
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2011, 04:25
aroa

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Parachutes....the use of

And if you dont have one,....you just dont give yourself a second chance.
Death is fatal.!!!

Examples...Chipmunk. Failed to recover from spin. 2 shilling coin found in control system limiting stick movement. 2 dead. Historical, I know

Very recent. Pitts 12 Failed to recover from inverted? spin. 2 dead.

Ditto as seen on TV US airshow recently. 1 dead.

NZ Formation aeros practice. One Harvard cuts the tail off another. Next option for the tail-less? None. 1 dead.

Glider pilot gets flung thru the canopy in a violent thermal after removing straps to adjust instrument. Next option... pull ripcord. 1 lives to tell the tale.

US airshow pilot, when giving a Stearman a VERY had work out, had a wing fold up.
Next option... "goodye, charlie" and pull the rip cord. 1 lives to tell the tale.

And I bet the two instructors in a Tommahawk that was reluctatant to come out of a spin had a think flash "parachute"!!??!! on the way down. Surveve, but only just .
On Harvard Adventure flights in the US... parachute required, a briefing and etc.
And if little old Granny wont jump because she's too afraid, the pilot can chuck her out, because the 'chutes were fitted with barometric auto release.
Height and time permitting of course.

For FLs/high altitude mapping in PNG, I used one as a back cushion. That was MY insurance policy, because if we had a fire.... no chance of getting to the ground before the wing fell off. 2 like aircraft fell to earth, fiery and wrongly while I was there.. so I felt much better for it. At least I had another option.

As for PIC..???. Kiss kiss... goodbye captain.!!