PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Different Types: Confusing or Complementary?
Old 28th Oct 2002, 09:54
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a child, when I started learning to play woodwind instruments, I was told that if you learn two different woodwind instruments you'll get the fingerings mixed up.

Now I'm older and wiser, I know many people who play a wide range of woodwind instruments, and none of them has any problems. I play the flute, the piccolo and the fife. The flut and piccolo have the same fingerings, so no problem. The fife is very similar, but some notes are fingered differently. When I first started playing the fife, I would always use flute fingerings. After a while, I learnt the fife fingerings, but then started using them on the flute. Now, having been playing the fife for around 5 years (and the flute for much longer), I can switch between the two without any problems. And that's despite the fact that I don't get to play either of them very often, and I don't consider myself to be particularly good.

Although I've never flown anything other than fixed wing, I'd expect the same would apply. When you first start learning something different, it would be easy to confuse the two. But after a while you learn to separate them completely. After all, how many of use tried to turn the yoke to get the 'plane to turn when taxying during our first few lessons? But very few of us still do that after the first 5 or 10 hours, or try to steer the car using our feet - despite the fact that we don't fly as often as we'd like to.

FFF
--------------