PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC and the Air law Exam
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2011, 20:58
Grob Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC and the Air law Exam

Hello all you Air Traffickers out there,

Please treat me kindly as I am a student pilot and I am sure cause much hilarity in our tower with my "interesting" use of R/T! (On one occasion I made up a new phrase by saying "lion Hold" on the end of my repeat back whilst being told to hold after taxiing...my instructor gave me rather a quizzical look...i haven't done that again!)

I was wondering whether you would be able to advise/help with (a few!) of my atc problems please...
  1. Is there an easy way of understanding which flights are seperated from others in which airspace
  2. Please would someone be kind enough to explain in Student pilot speak what the differences are between what advice/instructions we are given in which airspace. For instance, what info can an air/ground or Information such as "london Information" give.
  3. Am I right in understanding that only professional ATC approach and Tower and Ground give instructions which must be obeyed?
  4. And pilots therefore do not have to obey instructions given by anyone else?
  5. Am I correct in understanding that Class E-G airspace (the open FIR) is airspace which, in theory we don't have t0 talk to anyone?
  6. So Class D airspace, as a VFR pilot, I do have to communicate don't I?
Sorry, I know this is rather a lot, but in practising for my law exam, this is an area which I persistently get wrong. My mate who is an ATCO went out of area recently before we had a chance to have a session over a meal...i'm still holding him to it on his return, but thought someone out there may be kind enough to try and help PLEASE??!

Many many thanks